This is a senior level key role critical to the organisations future success. The Director of Finance & Operations is responsible for Financial Management, Strategy Development process, Human Resources, IT, Facilities Management and Company Secretarial functions as well as overall responsibility for CBM UK’s Risk Management Strategy. A key challenge of the role is to ensure that these functions are efficient, effective and integrated. The post holder will work closely with the Trustees (in particular the Finance and Audit Committee), CEO and leadership team, in leading the strategic planning process of CBM UK and developing and ensuring the implementation of the business plan. This position is part of the CBM UK Leadership Team, who have extensive expertise in international development, fundraising and communications, and lead and manage the CBM UK team.
1. Develop, implement and continuously update an appropriate finance strategy to guide financial decision-making.
2. Lead and direct CBM UK’s financial function so ensuring the delivery of high quality information, advice and financial services.
3. Manage and develop the financial policies, procedures and systems of CBM UK to ensure they meet all legal and contractual obligations.
4. Oversee the preparation of all budgets and financial forecasts, and ensure their submission by the agreed deadlines.
5. Implement effective systems of budgetary control, including the preparation of monthly management accounts for submission to the leadership team, Trustees and budget holders with accompanying analysis of results and key metrics including expenditure and income tax, cash flow and reserves.
6. Service the Finance and Audit (FAC) Committee and work closely with the FAC Chair, including reporting at Trustee meetings.
7. Work actively with programme and fundraising teams maintaining systems that enable CBM UK to seek and exploit opportunities for organisational growth and increased external funding.
8. Monitor the use of allocated financial resources and make recommendations for their more efficient and effective deployment.
9. Ensure the timely production and presentation of year end accounts and Annual Reports in cooperation with CBM UK’s external auditors.
10. Manage the company secretarial responsibilities of CBM UK ensuring the timely and accurate submission of all returns to the Charity Commission, Companies House, HMRC and OSCR.
11. Ensure that financial systems support the provision of reports to funders, and that these are produced in an accurate and timely manner.
12. Work closely with the Programme department in particular the Programme Finance Manager to ensure correct allocation of costs, cost recovery and annual programme budgets.
13. Ensure that appropriate treasury and foreign exchange systems are in place, including associated reporting mechanisms.
14. Periodic consultation with the CBM federation, including monthly and quarterly returns to CBMI.
1. Lead the organisational strategy development process and development of an annual business planning process.
2. Develop an appropriate organisational balanced score card/ or equivalent corporate performance measurement system.
3. Develop & support a quarterly business review process.
1. Lead the development and implementation of the HR strategy and champion the changes in culture, values and behavior that are required to deliver CBM UK’s vision and strategy.
2. Work closely with the leadership team to provide an approach to human resources management that meets the needs of CBM UK.
3. Ensure all HR policies and practices are fit for purpose and are updated as necessary to ensure they support the development of the desired culture, protect CBM UK from unnecessary legal challenge and represent good practice in the sector. Such policies include pay and reward, performance management and family-friendly policies.
4. Oversee the development of a Training and development plan ensuring that it meets the strategic needs of CBM UK as well as developing effective and appropriate approaches to talent management and succession planning.
5. Be responsible for all aspects of Health and Safety policy and practice.
6. Oversee the payroll function.
7. Lead, manage, motivate and develop the Finance, HR, IT and Office Management team such that they are clearly focused and competent to achieve departmental objectives in line with the agreed strategic direction, policies and priorities of the organisation.
8. Responsibility for safeguarding at organisational level.
1. Develop, implement and continuously update an appropriate IT, information management and telecommunications strategy.
2. Ensure that ITC based systems are integrated as required to support the efficient and effective delivery of CBM UK plans.
3. Ensure business systems are in place to support Fundraising and Programmes to achieve their goals.
1. Develop, implement and continuously update a property strategy.
2. Supervise the office management function to ensure that a suitable and safe working environment is provided for staff.
1. Develop, implement and continuously update an appropriate risk management strategy to safeguard the organisation and its assets.
2. Ensure appropriate advice is available to the Trustees, Leadership Team and staff on all general legal, regulatory, employment and financial matters, including drafting or checking of contracts with other organisations, service providers and networks. Take day to day responsibility for all company secretarial matters.
1. Develop, and oversee the implementation and continuous update of the policy register.
2. Supporting the Due Diligence requests relating to policies.
1. Contribute to the overall leadership and strategic direction of CBM UK through the Leadership team, and in collaboration with the CEO
2. Provide leadership, taking on cross-functional responsibilities where appropriate
3. As part of the Leadership Team, take shared leadership responsibility for the wider CBM UK team of staff and volunteers and support effective working across the organisation.
4. Encourage and promote a culture of ambition, learning and excellence across the CBM UK team which reflects the ambitions of CBM. Play an active role across the CBM team, promoting positive working and innovation. Seek to improve working practice at all opportunities.
5. Represent the organisation at the highest levels, including representing the CEO where appropriate.
1. Ensure appropriate external representation of the CBM UK by networking with relevant financial forums and professional bodies to promote the public image of CBM UK as a best practice financial institution. To keep abreast of changes in the IT, regulatory and financial environment, new initiatives and best practice in the sector to ensure the CBM UK’s strategies and policies are developed accordingly.
2. Manage the relationship with appropriate professional advisers (including auditors, lawyers, bankers and surveyors) to optimise their input to the development of the CBM UK’s strategies and policies.
In addition to the above there is a general responsibility on behalf of the job holder to undertake any other duties that are relevant to the job as requested by the CEO.